Macomb, Illinois is home to one of the larger universities in the state. Western Illinois University boasts over 14,000 students and faculty that bring a tremendous economical benefit to Macomb and McDonough County. These students come from all over the country to earn a education. The Princeton Review has continuously named Western Illinois University as on of the top colleges in the Midwest.
Downtown Macomb provides plenty of excitement for students looking to enjoy their nights and weekends. You will often see students traveling to the Change of Pace, the Ritz, or the Forum to meet up with their friends and have a drink. The Macomb Police Department and McDonough County Sheriff’s Office are well aware of this destination as well.
An increasing trend on college campuses is the use of Adderall and other stimulants in order to enhance focus. The influx of these drugs has led to a crackdown by law enforcement. Since many students obtain these drugs illegally, the number of arrests and resulting penalties have both increased in the past years. Also, many students are unaware of the severe penalties relating to these drugs and the low amount of possession that could lead to a felony prosecution. Students are also unaware of the severe felony enhancements involving the possession of cannabis. Our attorneys are familiar with these enhancements and have successfully defended against them in the past.
The most common alcohol and drug related offenses on a college campus include:
1. Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs.
2. Zero Alcohol Tolerance – Driving while in Violation of the underage consumption of alcohol statute.
3. Illegal transportation or possession of alcohol in a motor vehicle.
4. Sales to and possession of alcohol by persons under 21.
5. Unlawful use, possession/selling, manufacturing, giving or furnishing false ID to individuals.
6. Unlawful use of driver’s license or permit. (False Driver’s License)
7. Penalties for Prescription Drug Possession (Adderall, steroids, etc.)
Our history with WIU students has made us aware of the attention local law enforcement pays to “student hot-spots.” From 2010-2013, Western Illinois University has reported 1,127 liquor infractions per year, along with 458 drug or cannabis infractions per year. If this happens to you, make sure you hire an experienced, effective attorney at Gullberg, Box & Worby, LLC. Call us night or day for a free consultation at 309-734-1001 or fill out the contact submission form!