Monmouth College is a small liberal arts school located in Monmouth, Illinois with an enrollment of about 1,300 students. Money magazine ranked Monmouth 14th out of 665 “Best Colleges” in the Most Affordable Private Colleges category and 15th in “Colleges That Add the Most Value” category due in part to its graduation rate and the earnings of its graduates.
Despite Monmouth College’s academic accolades, from 2011-2013, Monmouth College reported 95 alcohol infractions per year and 22 drug related infractions per year. Students have a short trek to the Bijou Pub, Danny’s Tap, Tooties, and other local establishments, but the Monmouth Police Department, Warren County Sheriff, and campus security are always on the lookout for impaired drivers, underage drinking, and drug possession.
An increasing trend on college campuses is the use of Adderall and other stimulants in order to enhance focus. The influx of these drugs has led to a crackdown by law enforcement. Since many students obtain these drugs illegally, the number of arrests and resulting penalties have both increased in the past years. Also, many students are unaware of the severe penalties relating to these drugs and the low amount of possession that could lead to a felony prosecution. Students are also unaware of the severe felony enhancements involving the possession of cannabis. Our attorneys are familiar with these enhancements and have successfully defended against them in the past.
The most common alcohol and drug related offenses on a college campus include:
1. Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs.
2. Zero Alcohol Tolerance – Driving while in Violation of the underage consumption of alcohol statute.
3. Illegal transportation or possession of alcohol in a motor vehicle.
4. Sales to and possession of alcohol by persons under 21.
5. Unlawful use, possession/selling, manufacturing, giving or furnishing false ID to individuals.
6. Unlawful use of driver’s license or permit. (False Driver’s License)
7. Penalties for Prescription Drug Possession (Adderall, steroids, etc.)
With special events comes special attention from local law enforcement. Knox-Monmouth sporting events, Scots Day, and events promoted on social media bring extra attention from the police.
If you are arrested and need a skilled, local attorney, contact Gullberg, Box & Worby, LLC and put your mind at ease. Call 309-734-1001 or fill out the contact submission form for a free consultation!