Bradley University is a private university of 5,700 students located in Peoria, Illinois. Bradley’s campus is located on Peoria’s west bluff, which is only minutes from downtown. Bradley University was ranked 4th among Midwest universities providing a full range of undergraduate and master’s programs in the 2015 edition of America’s Best Colleges published by U.S. News & World Report.
From 2011-2013, Bradley reported 108 alcohol related incidents per year and 38 drug related infraction per year. This number does not include the arrests and citations that occurred off campus. The Peoria County Sheriff and Peoria Police Department both heavily patrol the downtown area and the Farmington Road area looking for impaired drivers.
An increasing trend on college campuses is the use of Adderall and other stimulants in order to enhance focus. The influx of these drugs has led to a crackdown by law enforcement. Since many students obtain these drugs illegally, the number of arrests and resulting penalties have both increased in the past years. Also, many students are unaware of the severe penalties relating to these drugs and the low amount of possession that could lead to a felony prosecution. Students are also unaware of the severe felony enhancements involving the possession of cannabis. Our attorneys are familiar with these enhancements and have successfully defended against them in the past.
The most common alcohol and drug related offenses on a college campus include:
1. Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs.
2. Zero Alcohol Tolerance – Driving while in Violation of the underage consumption of alcohol statute.
3. Illegal transportation or possession of alcohol in a motor vehicle.
4. Sales to and possession of alcohol by persons under 21.
5. Unlawful use, possession/selling, manufacturing, giving or furnishing false ID to individuals.
6. Unlawful use of driver’s license or permit. (False Driver’s License)
7. Penalties for Prescription Drug Possession (Adderall, steroids, etc.)
Special events in Peoria are targets for local law enforcement. The St. Patrick’s Day celebration, Taste of Peoria, and events at the Civic Center all attract extra attention.
If you are cited or arrested for breaking the law, make sure you know your rights. Call 309-734-1001 or fill out the contact submission form for a free consultation with an experienced, dedicated attorney at Gullberg, Box & Worby, LLC.